Swag Bucks

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Sacrifices=Success

We went from this.... :)
To this!
The picture doesn't do justice. The truck looks way worse than this picture captures. :)

Never in a million years would I think we could pay off $14,000 in debt in a year, let alone 6 weeks. But we did it. We took all of our tax return and pd things off. 2 credit cards and 1 tire place, to be exact. We also decided to sell the Tahoe which kicked us over our goal. We haven't even had the paycheck this month where we get to roll our snowball, that is coming. SO this is very exciting. With 6 weeks under our belt and the big chunks being paid we know that our snowball will surely slow, but we made our goal for 2009 to pay off $14,000. RJ and I are in shock and so happy. We get to sit down this coming Tuesday and reevaluate our goal. Lovin it. Who would have thought that a little soul searching, faith, and following would have had this much benefit. We choose to "live like no one else, so later we can live like no one else".
These things are material anyway. We have been so blessed with money from God and it feels even more of a blessing to serve God with that money. To do as we are, be responsible and keep ourselves from living out of our means. Not from borrowing from companies, or worse yet family. I know that we are on the right track and I pray that we will keep on pressing towards the goal. I cannot wait to live like no one else.

I know I asked a few weeks ago what you are doing to help reduce debt or save money. Gym memberships and cable was a big one. Anything else?

Keep me posted. And remember you can comment anonymously. Would love to hear from you and be encouraged by you as well.

**My links are not working for some reason. Hope to resolve this soon.**

5 comments:

  1. Sacrifice: EATING OUT for sure- we haven't eliminated it, but have set an amount that is realistic for our budget and will take making some serious lifestyle changes.
    I am encouraged by the lessons you are learning. We too are trying to focus on living within our means and being fruitful with the money that God has given to us. My husband has been blessed with a job that can supply our financial needs. But we were managing to live beyond that by being careless (honestly, by eating out WAY too much). We don't have any debt, but we have goals that we were unable to meet (uh-hem, an SUV for when we have another baby cuz I CANNOT fit two kids in my wee little Jetta :). We reevaluated our budget last month and realized we can be saving $1500 a month if we JUST control our eating out. Crazy!!!! We are one month in and going strong :). It's encouraging though to see other people going through the same process and doing it with faith. Kudos to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha! Our 2nd vehicle is a jetta and I know what you mean. Without carseats (all but the baby) we can squeeze, and I mean squeeze into that thing.
    Eating out is a killer and our most embarrassing blow of money before. We rarely grocery shopped, because we spent too much eating out, then no $ for groceries. We too are saving by making meals at home. Hard habit to break but one that can be done.
    WTG & Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just incredible!! You are giving me hope, that is for sure! Our big pay off this month with our tax return was paying back family. Its a relief to get that out of our way and not feel any guilt towards owing them. Now, to get rid of the rest of it!

    We spent money on groceries, and embarrassing to me is that a lot of food went bad. We would go eat our and waste what we had. I rarely bought generic either. So learning to cook and eat ALL of our food has been big these last couple of weeks.

    Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that this is something you are already doing, but for us, I was very shocked at how long we can go between trips to the store. Making meals and being creative. What we think are our "staples" are really things we can live without too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting on my blog. You guys are doing awesome!! Better than we are and I thought we were doing good! We have paid off about $20,000 in the last 18 months. We don't use our tax refund because that is our emergency fund and kid fund for the year. (our kids are very involved in sports) We just paid off our yukon xl last month and ofcourse a huge repair bill happened this month. I swear I think they program the vehicles to break down the day after they are paid off. Good luck on your journey!!

    ReplyDelete