Swag Bucks

Monday, March 16, 2009

Monday Madness and Meal Planning

SO, this week is a tough one. I have plenty of food but money is very scarce until the 24th when hubbies next paycheck rolls in. Not much left, well nothing at all. Not even for gas. RJ is going to donate plasma twice this week just to get us gas money. I guess there is the "E-Fund" but hate to touch that. We still need to pay that back on the 24th. Sad I know but we do what we gotta do. We will survive......

Monday- Shredded Chicken, Rice and Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes.

Tuesday- Quesedillas with Cheese and leftover Chicken, with salsa/sour cream, and green beans

Wednesday- Leftovers

Thursday- Salmon (DH will be gone) He grew up on fish in AK so he will be happy to miss out. Green beans and possibly rice again.

Friday-Sweet and Sour Chicken (will link this recipe after I try it out.) Wouldn't want to post something gross. ;) And going to attempt Chinese Rice.

Saturday/Sunday- Homemade pizza. Crust and sauce from scratch.

Sack Lunch tidbit:
I have finally found a Wheat Bread recipe that I love. The kids and RJ and I ALL love it! I am hoping to replace store bought bread with a bread we love that is soft enough for sandwiches for the kids and DH lunches. This will save me close to or about $1.25 a LOAF (takes a loaf and half to equal store bought loaf. Although home made is much more dense which means using less). We go through about 2 loaves of bread for lunches alone. Not to mention if we have toast, or use bread for dinners (grilled cheese, french toast, sandwiches, etc..)

**ATTENTION**
I have tried a few recipe's and am still wanting to try new ones. Any ideas? I figure since we are all following one another for specific reasons, we can continue to share the wealth with one another. Please send me your recipe so I can find an award winning one. I have no prize for you; just the credit that it is yours and sending more veiwers your way. I will list it on my other blog as well.( http://bestoftheworsts.blogspot.com/ ) Can't wait to hear from you with your ideas and recipes. And thanks for your help in finding the best recipe to suit my family!!

My new #1 bread recipe:

Wheat Bread

1 cup warm water (I microwave 1 C water for 1 minute.)
1 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons active dry yeast

1.Mix the all-purpose flour, wheat flour and yeast in bowl.
2. Add the warm water, milk, oil, brown sugar, honey and salt.
3. Mix together with a wooden spoon as much as you can. When it gets into a ball form put onto a flat surface to knead.
4. Knead for a good 10 minutes on a lightly floured surface. Adding dusting's of flour as needed to keep it from sticking to your hands or mat. Knead until smooth and elastic. (If you knead for at least ten minutes it should be fine.
5. Place in bowl that is lightly greased (sprayed) and turn over. Both sides should have a light greasing on them. Cover with a clean towel.
6. Let rise in a warm place 45-60 minutes. Should be about doubled in size. What works for me is placing the dough bowl on top rack of stove with warm bowl of water under on lower rack. The warm water makes oven just warm enough without the draft of the air. Lightly grease (sprayed) loaf pan.
7. Punch dough and turn out onto kneading surface. Knead a few times and form into a loaf shape. place in greased loaf pan. Place back into oven to rise in warm place for about 45 minutes or until about doubled in size again.
8. Bake bread for 30 minutes on 350, covering with foil if getting too brown half way through. I personally like my loaf very light in color. I covered at 15 minutes. Ovens vary so keep eye on it for your top color liking. (My oven cooked this loaf in about 20-25 minutes total.
9. Cool in pan for few minutes then remove and cool on wire rack covered with a towel.
Last but not least..... Enjoy!!!!

My personal review: "Incredibly soft, dense and moist. I was very surprised. It tastes good toasted although I personally felt it made it more dry, but add a little butter and jam and it was good. MY FAVORITE is the PB and J sandwich I am shoving in my mouth as I type this out. Unbelievable and for sure the best PB&J I have ever, EVER had!!!!" (And I am not even using our homeamade jam).

** If you like homemade bread give this a try. I am determined to save money on things I can bake at home for a fraction of the cost. This loaf, roughly 69 cents. Maybe even less.It hasn't lasted long. I have to make another loaf today. May have to make 2 at a time. ;) **

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there! We all have tough times, but a little prayer and a lot of faith will pull you through! You're in my prayers...God works in miraculous ways!

    God Bless!!

    MoneySavinDiva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beef Taco Skillet

    From: Campbell's Kitchen
    Prep: 5 minutes
    Cook: 20 minutes

    Serves: 4

    Ingredients:

    1 lb. ground beef
    1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Tomato Soup (Regular, Healthy Request® or 25% Less Sodium)
    1/2 cup salsa
    1/2 cup water
    6 flour tortilla (6-inch), cut into 1-inch pieces
    1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese


    Directions:

    Cook the beef in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until it's well browned, stirring often to separate meat. Pour off any fat.

    Stir the soup, salsa, water, and tortillas in the skillet and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir the beef mixture. Top with the cheese.

    Serving Suggestion: Serve with a mixed green salad with Italian salad dressing and corn-on-the cob. For dessert serve with a store bought flan.

    Cost per recipe: $7.59

    Cost per recipe serving: $1.89

    Total cost of meal (including serving suggestion): $14.80


    Cost calculations based on July 2008 national average prices

    Creamy Mexican Fiesta: Stir in 1/2 cup sour cream with the soup.

    Ranchero Style: Use corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas and shredded Mexican cheese blend instead of Cheddar.


    Nutrition Information

    Using Campbell's® Condensed Tomato Soup: Calories 398, Total Fat 17g, Saturated Fat g, Cholesterol mg, Sodium 838mg, Total Carbohydrate 32g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Protein 28g, Vitamin A %DV, Vitamin C %DV, Calcium %DV, Iron %DV

    Using Campbell's® Condensed 25% Less Sodium Tomato Soup: Calories 398, Total Fat 17g, Saturated Fat g, Cholesterol mg, Sodium 728mg, Total Carbohydrate 32g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Protein 28g, Vitamin A %DV, Vitamin C %DV, Calcium %DV, Iron %DV

    ReplyDelete