Swag Bucks

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Penny Pinching Rewards...

Day 7 No Television
Oh, how I miss my shows. Well, I have access to them via the Internet, however, they are not as easily accessible. AND if we want to catch up on a show then I don't get to have the computer on my lap. Ahhh! The price you pay to save. We were paying $60 a month for Dish. We called to cancelled and for no reason at all they were able to knock off $20. Just for calling and trying to cancel. We took the deal and hung up with intentions of still cancelling. Fast forward 2 weeks..... I called to cancel. She offered to take an additional $10 off our price. So, same package for half the price, Hmmm! I questioned her on how she could do that. Then I gave a her a few thoughts of my own. I made it clear that if they were able to screw me out of $30 a month this long that I have NO intention of keeping our service. She made it clear that I was responsible for returning ALL of the remotes, the receiver and even the little round thingies UP ON THE ROOF on the satellite things. REALLY?? They refused to send someone to come take those down. And to make it worse, if we break either one of the two that are out there then we are responsible for the cost. Wow! After all this and her not being very kind they can have all their crud back. We are happy using the Internet, commercial free, to watch our shows for free.

Long story short, I got it cancelled. About 3 minutes after we hung up I had no local channels, no pkg channels and a whole lot of shopping networks.



I must admit that in the 7 days we have not had TV the girls are playing and interacting more with one another. Hubby and I are having great conversations and I have a lot more time for my Bible. So, it is a great thing to get rid of it. Good choice and in a matter of one month we have now freed up $60 additional to roll into our snowball. Yahoo!!



What do you have that you have/can get rid of, lower, or downgrade?? I'm curious.....

*I changed my settings so now anyone can leave a comment.*

5 comments:

  1. In January we cancelled our gym membership that we weren't using. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WTG! WTG! WTG!!!! Sometimes it is hard to cancel especially if here is a canceltion fee, which we had with Dish. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one thing we gave up a few years back! If you think of it the tv has so much junk on it and a lot of times my child would be watching something fine on tv and a commercial would come on and they are horrible!! Another thing we got rid of was our home phone line that was an extra $30. now we just use our cell phones. Another thing that im not doing but just heard someone else is doing for lent is hot showers...? I am not sure if im willing to do that, maybe in the summer ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't seem to post comments under my name. This is Rachel from Kitchen Central.

    Thanks for the encouraging words on my blog. I am super excited about canceling our cable. I made the first steps towards getting rid of it today. We are paying $169+ for the bundle (cable, internet and phone) to $57+!!! I am so excited. Plus I am canceling our gym membership that I never get too. Yea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have really enjoyed reading your blog and just want to say you have really inspired me to rethink our budget.
    I wanted to tell you in case you didnt know, you can watch pretty much any TV show on a website called hulu.com. And the best part it is free!

    ReplyDelete