Swag Bucks

Friday, April 3, 2009

Award Winning Bread??

You Bet! Honey Wheat Baby!!

ABOVE: After baked. All thats left of the round loaf.
BELOW: This was the bread after rising


So if you have been following my blog at all you know that I have been passionate about finding an "award winning" bread recipe to completely replace the store bought bread we use for sandwiches for lunches and toast.

I began baking daily about 2 months ago and recently started making my own breads, bagels, and Sin-a-mon Rolls. Breads I am making are Honey Wheat, Wheat, and French breads. Haven't found a good light white bread yet. I am really enjoying making the breads. They are SO VERY cost effective. Although I need more time in the day, I survive knowing that I am serving my family and home by providing healthy wholesome foods while saving money on the foods we love. Well, the carbs that is. ;) I love to cook. I am feeling it on my waistline. The cooking that is. Ugh! Time to do an evaluation on what I am eating and how much. Okay, so really it is all about how much I am eating. :( I like food. I love food. I love to eat. Especially now that I am cooking.

I just have to share my recipe. I doctored up one, sort of combined two and then added to it. So here is my recipe. I really, REALLY hope that you try it, especially if you are a bread making person.

Honey Wheat Bread
*2 pkts Active Dry Yeast
*1/4 C. Warm Water (105 to 115 degrees)
1.) Mix these two together and set aside

*1/2 C Honey
*1/4 C. Butter Softened or Room Temp.
*4 tsp. Brown Sugar
*3 tsp. Salt
*2 1/2 C VERY Warm Water (120-130 degrees)
2.) In large bowl, mix these ingredients together and let sit for 5 minutes.

*2 T. Wheat Gluten (found in flour isle, optional)
*4 1/2 C. Wheat Flour
*3-3 1/2 C. Bread Flour (or all-purpose works fine too)
3.) Mix 3 C. of the Wheat Flour and Wheat Gluten together and then add to the honey mixture Beat for 30 seconds using hand mixer. Scrape bowl and beat medium speed for 2-3 minutes. Beat in remaining 1 1/2 Wheat Flour until moist.

4.) Mix in 2 1/2 C. Bread or All-purpose flour with a wooden spoon. When it pulls away from bowl turn out onto lightly floured surface and begin kneading the dough.
Add the remaining 1/2 C.-1 C . Bread/All-purpose flour as you knead (for 5-10 minutes). I knead about 8 minutes until it feels smooth and springy.

5.)Place dough in a greased (I use Pam spray) bowl and cover with a clean towel. Place on top rack in oven with a bowl of hot water on the rack below and close door. Turn oven light on as well. This is a draft free place and warms oven just enough to help aide in the rising process. Let rise for 45-60 minutes, until about doubled in size.
Grease 2 loaf pans or a baking sheet/s if making round loaf.

6.) Gently punch dough to deflate and turn out onto the lightly floured surface.
Divide the dough in half.

7.) Pat dough into round loaf if making round and place on greased sheet.
If making loaf in loaf pan roll out the dough into about a 16x8 and roll up starting with the short side (it needs to fit into your pan) ;)
Pinch edge into loaf and pinch and tuck ends under and put into greased loaf pans.
Cover and let rise again in warm place about 45 minutes.

8.) Take out of oven, uncover, and turn oven on to 350. Once pre-heated bake for 20 minutes. Remove and check, will need to cover top with foil and place back into oven. Bake for another 15-20 minutes. I check at about 15 minutes for top to sound hollow when you knock on it.

~REMOVE from oven and remove bread from pan immediately and cool completely on wire racks. ~
Or cut while warm, and add some butter. Before you know it you will have eaten too much. And thanks goodness for that second loaf!!

Don't do what I did and offer one to someone else. :)

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. I want to try this recipe. I just need whole wheat flour. I'm waiting for a good sale. Costco doesn't sell it, so still waiting.

    And about feeling the baking in your waist line. Tell me about it! I've been trying to lose this last 3 pounds, but with the baking and cooking, its just not working!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I got that recipe off of another one of your posts and have been making the honey wheat. I am NOT cooking it long enough. I was only doing 20 minutes. My first loaf ended up having a tunnel through the middle, my 2nd loaf actually turned out fine, and my last two loaves weren't hollow, but not totally done. I was going to ask you how long you cooked yours. Obviously I need to do it longer and cover them. Phew!
    What is your wheat recipe and french bread? I love the honey wheat (reminds me of Great Harvest...Mmmmmm) but it's a little dense for sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized (when I read the mix of this recipe) that I hadn't gotten my honey wheat recipe from you. I got it from Oprah :). She had some cooks on there a couple of weeks ago. But I still think this could work for time. The recipes are similar. Mine has less honey I think. It's really simple, but it has to rise twice. Just like any bread...it's a process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may just have to try this recipe!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the posts. :)

    M~ did you use Wheat Gluten. My Honey Wheat recipe that I put together didn't call for that and I added it and it was still dense but not nearly as much as before. The round loaf was a smidgen over cooked but tasted almost exactly like GHB. Yummy! I read once the more conditioners, the more light it will be. I just ran across the wheat gluten and thought I'd try it. MY oven is cooking fairly hot. One recipe said 25-35, another said 20-25. I have to cover bread with foil at 13-15 minutes so it is not too dark and literally cook for 20-22 minutes. So I think it is my oven. I had same thing with cinnamon rolls. Cooked much faster tha recipes said. Big thing.... bread will sound hollow when you knock on the top. If not then it isn't done.

    You are right, it is a learning process.

    I did post another recipe that I doctored but I like this one MUCH better. Maybe it's because of all the honey and the brown sugar. Mmm!

    R~ I too get my bread flour and flour (and yeast) from Costco. It makes sense for the amount I am baking. I wish they had wheat flour too. Hard to find a large amount for a decent price. Do you have some bread recipe's. I will just have to hit your page and check!

    D~ You should try it. YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete