Swag Bucks

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Finding Freedom Friday: Frugal Flops

Over at Finding Freedom Friday, Phoebe asks what, if any, frugal flops we have had in our journey to becoming debt free. Make sure after reading mine that you head over to hers and read her flops along with others.



SO here I am wondering what my frugal flops have been. I know that I have flopped many times just at being plain frugal. Does that make sense? We try, we make it a way of life, we stumble, get back on track and it is this cycle that keeps going round and round.



Flop #1- seedlings. They died 4 weeks after seeing them pop up through the dirt. I worked hard to take care of them indoors, taking them out for sun on sunny days. Well, long story short, we didn't get a garden area done when they really needed to be planted. Before I knew it none were able to be salvaged. They are gone and we have done away with the garden due to the small backyard we have plus a dog that is living back there too. :(



Flop #2- Homemade laundry soap. Argh!!! I haven't done this yet. I am disappointed that I haven't tried it yet. Why is this a flop, because you can't save money while NOT trying frugal ideas and ways of living. I think I am procrastinating because I love the really smelly smell of my Tide.



Flop #3- Homemade cream soups. Way too much work at the moment. I have a super small kitchen that has little counter space. I found it too much to make when I do not use them very often at all. However, I would really like to give cream of chicken a shot again since it is the one I use if at all.



Flop #4-Couponing at Walgreens. Truthfully I still don't get it, understand it and now don't care about it. :( Sad I know. I found myself using a few products that I wasn't sure I liked. By the time I was driving into town I wasn't saving at all. Instead I am now going to the brand sites I like and seeing who has coupons to offer. I am also using coupons out of the local paper I snag from the families house. I don't buy a paper. SO although I feel like I'm giving up on Walgreens, I am still couponing.



Flop #5- Wholesale shopping. Sometimes shopping at the larger wholesale places like Costco hurts the budget, especially if you do not take cash. There are many products that are WAY better per oz to get there but I buy too many items which means I then have spent too much money. We have reevaluated this shopping trip and the hubby will be helping more. He does a way better job of sticking to the exact list and not adding something here or there.



So there are my flops. They are a bit different due to our journey to be debt free only starting three and a half months ago. We are excited for our progress although our debt reduction slows for the summer.



Happy frugal living to all of you out there in this journey. I am proud of all the blogs I read and with that said proud of what we are doing. There is always room for more frugal living. Excited to read your stories too.

5 comments:

  1. You really should try the homemade laundry soap!! I started making my own about 2 months ago and I will never buy laundry soap again. You can see the recipe, instructions & pictures here:
    http://cuttingcouponsinkc.blogspot.com/search/label/Homemade%20Cleaning%20Supplies

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making our homemade soups -- we have a small kitchen too, and I often just make them up right before we use them. Hope you are inspired to try again :)

    we all have flops-- mine for sure is not trying the laundry soap! I'm with you there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with 4 & 5 - we do that too! Haven't tried 1 - 3 - not sure if that's a flop or not :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried the homemade laundry soap yet either...i'm really getting fed up with pay $5 or more for a jug of it

    ReplyDelete