Swag Bucks

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Getting Ready for "Back to School"

Thought I'd throw in this picture. I love it! I enjoyed visiting Seattle this summer.




Okay, so I have avoided this blog this summer for a few reasons. We are not really throwing down any debt, which I mentioned in my last post, and because there isn't really anything new going on. There are so many things regarding money I really want to touch on but feel as though the timing is inappropriate. I have an interesting variety of people reading this blog. Some which I know and others in which I do not. Heading back to school and this time of year for us is really overwhelming. I have pondered how much to put myself out there. I will do so with some reservations.

We are hit each year with the uncertainty of where are kids will be attending school. We have been a part of the most wonderful private Christian school for the past 5 years. The school is small, the teachers are outstanding and the curriculum is fabulous. Although this is all wonderful it costs a lot of money. Any of you that are reading and have done private or looked into it know exactly what I am talking about. Every year we make our last minute decisions the week before school begins. It is overwhelming for me. Add on to that, uniforms, school supplies, tuition, classroom fees, registration fees, shoes, coats..... and the list goes on and on.

For the first time this year I will be making due with what we have. The kids will get a new clothing item as needed and not all at once. They will be used or on massive clearance. I will be going thru their school supplies from last year and get only what cannot be used again. They will reuse backpacks and lunch boxes, that's a given. I will get back on track making my own breads and anything bread related. I will not worry one bit about name brand clothes or items.

So with this said I recommend going to Phoebe's post on frugal back to school shopping! I ended her post feeling refreshed and okay with what I am about to do in the next few weeks as we look at going back to school. I refer to her blogs a lot. She was one of two people who inspired RJ and I to do Dave Ramsey.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been getting ready for J's first year of preschool. So far, all of my clothes shopping has been at consignment. West Salem has a great shop (Baby to Baby on Edgewater) and we go to New to You in Mac when we take J out to his dad's. Both are good stores. I know he doesn't care about brands or if its used, so I just keep reminding myself of that. It's especially hard when it's his "first" time going to school. But I am trying to be good. We did get a new backpack, but J has a wonderful Grammie who purchased it for him as a gift (phew). Good luck with your school prep. I can imagine it must be overwhelming planning for three.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking about you guys. I so hope you can make it back to school but I so understand the thoughts of saving money. Believe me, I know. :)

    Your kids will be missed if that will be your decision. :(

    ReplyDelete